WCA #276 with Matthew Boudreau – Soul-Sucking Jobs, Audio Drama, Field Recording, Spiderman vs Draco The Dragon, and the Language of Audio
No, I’m not interviewing myself! As it turns out, there are two Boudreau’s in the world of audio named Matt (Me) and Matthew (my guest).
Matthew Boudreau is a field recordist, podcast producer, consultant and editor, and sound designer living in Buffalo, NY.
Matthew has been working in podcasting since 2008 and has over 20 years of experience as an audio professional, working in computer multimedia, theatre sound, studio recording, film, and sound effects field recording. He is the founder of the 11th Hour Audio Challenge, an annual podcast event that challenges audio drama producers to collaborate in creating works of horror in the month of October.
Matthew’s audio post-production company, Uberduo, sells immersive sound effect bundles dedicated to the exploration and reproduction of locations and props for film and audio fiction. His sound effect bundles can be found on http://www.asoundeffect.com and individual sound effects can be found at soundsnap.com.
Matthew was the dialogue editor for the Audible productions, Locke and Key and X-Files: Cold Cases. He has spoken at CONvergence in Bloomington, Minnesota, and SXSW in Austin Texas on topics including voice acting, sound design, and making the jump from film to podcast fiction. His audio fiction pieces 1918, Intensive Care and A Prophets Guide have won Mark Time and Ogle Awards. In addition to the annual 11th Hour Challenge, his current podcast projects include sound design for The Once and Future Nerd and editing for The Activist Files for the Center for Constitutional Rights.
In this episode, we discuss:
- The Language of Audio
- Spiderman vs Draco The Dragon
- Joining the military
- Soul-Sucking Jobs
- Audio Drama
- Field Recording
- Stealth Recording
- The Buffalo Border Patrol
Links and Show Notes:
- Matthew’s Company: https://www.uberduo.com/
- Matthew’s Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthew-boudreau-a60a4b7/
- Podcast Host: https://www.thepodcasthost.com/
- Field Recording by Paul: Virostek: https://amzn.to/2WVMuCO
- Rick Viers Location Sound: https://amzn.to/3bA82J8
- Rick Viers Sound Effects Bible: https://amzn.to/39uRCR1
- Get work!: https://www.mandy.com/
- Support WCA – Go Ad-Free! https://glow.fm/workingclassaudio/
- Connect with Matt on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mattboudreau/
- Current sponsors & promos: https://bit.ly/2WmKbFw
- Working Class Audio Journal: https://amzn.to/2GN67TP
- Guest: Matthew Boudreau
- Host: Matt Boudreau
- WCA Theme Music: Cliff Truesdell
- Announcer: Chuck Smith
- Editing: Anne-Marie Pleau & Matt Boudreau
- Additional Music: The License Lab